Thursday, February 19, 2009

Stocks for the week of Feb 16

Here are the stocks that are passing at least three of my five filters, for the week of Feb 16. There are no stocks that are passing four of five filters. I am now using the Investors.com beta version, which has changed the IBD Rank from a letter grade (A+, A, A-, etc.) to a numerical grade (1 to 99). My fifth filter, going forward, will be that a stock is rated at 80 or above, which I believe will be the top quintile.

SymbolTop RankedZacks PEG SuppDem VLIBD Stock checkup
AMED 11 199
APOL 11 199
ESI  11199
CELG 11 198
COCO 11 198
MANT 11 198
CPSI 11 197
PNRA 11 197
RMD 11 197
BCR 11 196
AIR 11 195
CAI 11 194
CNQR 11 187


AFAM has dropped off the core list.

Core list (with n of 10 weeks passing):

SymbolPassing weeks Earnings
BCR10 
COCO10 
MANT10Earn 25-Feb
CAI8 
AMED6 
CELG6 
VIVO5 
APOL5 

moving down this week
moving up this week
new this week

The Market remains in Red Light mode according to the 1-2-3 model. The Inflation Model remins at a slightly inflationary stance, and is now at modestly inflationary at a positive one half inflation star ("decreasing inflation"). Interestingly, some of the economic headlines are indicating that wholesale inflation has taken a huge jump, which is not surprising given the volume of the givernment printing presses. (Yes, that was an intentional typo.)

People have been asking me, in various ways, how the stock downturn has affected me. (Besides losing a job in the financial sector?) My answer is that the 1-2-3 model gives me an overview of how much to invest in long stocks. My guideline is that while in Red Light mode, I will not invest more in longs than in shorts. That is, if I go long $1000, then I need to also short $1000 (either through stocks or puts). We have been in Red Light since I have begun tracking it in June (with the exception of 6 weeks of Yellow Light.

On a personal note, I was approached by a recruiter for Ab Initio, and they would seem to be the "best software company you've never heard of." They're based in Boston, but would have a lot of work in Charlotte.

Have fun trading this week.

No comments: